Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Good Eats

Good evening!


I have come to the conclusion that Tuesdays are not my day to blog. I don't know why, but they seem to be my worst day of the week. I think it's because on Mondays I'm well rested from the weekend and ready to tackle the week. Wednesday is hump day which typically means hump day treats, and that's always enough to make it a good day. Thursday means the the weekend is just around the corner and Friday, well...Friday is Friday! 


Yesterday started with me promptly spilling coffee all over my shirt which resulted in me having to wear my 'super stylish' gym clothes all day. It did not make for a good beginning of my day! Luckily, I work for a company where wearing gym clothes is acceptable (and more importantly, I was lucky to have gym clothes on hand to wear,) but I hate looking sloppy and unprofessional for the entire day!


But the main reason I didn't get a chance to write yesterday was because Jamers had to work most of the evening, which meant I did not have access to the computer!


So today I'm back in action, and so are my overnight oats! I've had them for breakfast the last two days in a row, and oh how I've missed them.




I shared the recipe with a co-worker today, and she is looking forward to making them, too!


Karlee and I did Zumba during lunch today, and it was SO much fun! Our instructor, Jenny Anchondo, brought her mom to class and we all had a blast! In fact, her mom said we were the most fun Zumba group she had ever been a part of! We were good and sweaty by the end of the hour, but the good news is that Kar and I have our dance moves down pat for when we all go out this weekend for Kate's birthday. (Stay tuned for that!)


Last night I made a big batch of chicken salad for Jamers and me to bring for lunch the rest of the week. I love making this in the spring/summer months because it's SO refreshing. 


Chicken Salad Recipe

2 cans of cooked chicken, shredded
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1/2 bunch of green onions, chopped
1 apple, chopped
2 C red grapes, halved
1 1/2 C of pecans, chopped
1 C of olive oil mayo
1 T of curry

Mix everything together, and serve on toast or with your favorite crackers!


Voila! Lunch was delicious. I ate it with a side of chips and homemade salsa from a recipe I found here on Pinterest. Seriously. Make this salsa today! You won't regret it.

I came home and started dinner thinking I was going to make Chicken Satay with a Ranch-Greek yogurt sauce but I realized it had to marinate it for several hours so I got it marinating and instead decided to make some Chicken & Red Bean Gumbo.

I had a recipe to follow from one of Sandra Lee's cookbooks, (I'm slightly obsessed with this woman. Yes, I realize it's extremely weird!) but I ended up just kind of throwing things together with my sous chef, Jamieson. :-)

Here's were the basic ingredients:


I cooked the red beans and rice separately from the chicken, kidney beans, diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Then I mixed it all together and served it with warm, crusty bread.


It actually turned out quite well for basically having thrown it together!

I can't believe tomorrow is already Thursday! This week is flying by and before you know it, the weekend will be upon us. Hooray!

Until next time.

1 comment: